Tuesday 2 November 2010

P.F. Chang's - Chicago

Across the parking lot from Weber Grill was the architecturally interesting P.F. Chang's.  I'd been wanting to try it ever since April mentioned it.  It's one of her favorite restaurants!  Of course, we don't have one around here, so when I saw it so close, I told Mom we should take a look.  


I texted April for food suggestions... and then didn't listen to her.  BAD CARRIE.  The appetizers we got were delicious, but now I'm wondering about the lettuce wraps.  I let the lettuce turn me off w/o even seeing about them... Sorry, April.  I'll be better next time.  : )  



So, since I didn't listen to April, below is a list of what we did have.  


CRISPY GREEN BEANS 
More addictive than potato chips



CRAB WONTONS
Crunchy wonton filled with rock crab meat and served with a side of spicy plum sauce



COCONUT CURRY VEGETABLES
Stir-fried mixed vegetables, crispy silken tofu and peanuts in a vegetarian coconut curry sauce

(Only with chicken instead of tofu *grin*)


DOUBLE PAN-FRIED NOODLES COMBO
Semi-crisp egg noodles stir-fried with vegetables and served with a combination of beef, pork, chicken and shrimp

(Only with tofu instead of all that stuff *laugh*)


As I said, the appetizers were delish!  The green beans were almost as good as Texas Roadhouse's fried pickle chips, but the sauce served w/ them was too spicy for me & mom.  They needed some Ranch to make them truly wonderful.  : ) 


I LOVED the crab wontons!  The plumby sauce they're served w/ was good, too.  Mom was not a fan, tho.  They were too "crabby" for her.  Heh.  That's what I liked about them!  : ) 


I wanted the coconut curry vegetables because it reminded me of Thai.  : )  It was ... well, I suppose it was good.  But at this point it'd gotten dark outside, and - IDK if this is a chain thing, or if it was just this particular restaurant - it was getting all moody & dark in the restaurant.  I've complained of the same thing at Outback Steakhouse.  I want to SEE my food.  I want to SEE the person I'm talking to.  I don't want to have to strain to see either.  So, I truly think the poor lighting dampened my experience enough that I didn't really enjoy my curry.  


Mom didn't really enjoy her noodles, either, and it may have been the lighting.  Or not.  I tried them, and thought they were good, tho.  Actually, wouldn't have minded having leftovers when home, but I forgot to bring them in when Mom dropped me off, and I'm sure Phil's eaten them by now!  (We packed them in ice in the cooler for the trip home.  Rah!)


So, there ya go.  My take on 4 dishes from the Chang's.  Next time - should there be a next time - I'll try the lettuce wraps, sans lettuce.  : )  


Until then, have you eaten here?  What did you think?  What did you like/not like about it?  Do share!  : )  





8 comments:

April said...

I told you to have the lettuce wraps. They are the best things on the menu. I told you to have the Kung Pao Scallops, Lemon Scallops are also SUPER. The Double Fried Noodles, I like, but only with the Chicken and Shrimp, not with Tofu, bleck. I haven't had the other things you mentioned. I probably won't try them either, because those Kung Pao Scallops call my name every time I walk through the door. Next time, you should listen to your friend. :P

CarrieMarie said...

bahahahaha - did you have to rub it in?? and oh dang, i did look at the scallops on the menu, but forgot you'd recommended those. d'oh! next time, my friend, next time. i shall listen to your wisdom!

Jess said...

I love love love your new design by the way!!!!!! Where did you find it at?!?! I want to redo my page with pictures of food I make at the top, but can't seem to figure out how to do that!

Corey Wilkey said...

did you know that they make P.F. Changs frozen food items and sell them in the frozen foods sections in Utah! So yummy!

CarrieMarie said...

jess, thank you! i found this template at A Blog To Brag About. as for the pictures, i'm not sure. i'd probably make a collage, scan it in & then use that as my header picture. cuz i'm sure there's an official way to do it, but i'm so untechy! LOL

corey, oh my heck, i know! i am going to have to find them & try them now. i wonder if they have kung pao scallops... heh.

Jess said...

Thanks for the advice!!!!

Petra said...

Wontons are one of the greatest inventions ever...

CarrieMarie said...

i agree about the wontons! crispy goodness!