Sunday 27 March 2011

Yanni Weekend - Food Edition

Saturday Lunch: Who knew IKEA had a cafe?  Or, really it's more like a cafeteria.  


Before this weekend, I had been to the IKEA in Schaumburg twice, but hadn't any real idea that they had A) a play area for kids or B) an actual cafeteria where you could eat a meal!  I knew that there was a soda/hot dog/cinnamon roll area by the checkout.  This was different, tho.


On the third floor, right by the frames, interestingly where I had been before and yet unnoticed in previous trips!


We arrived at IKEA after an interesting battle w/ Penelope, the affectionate name we gave Mom's Garmin.  Penelope likes to play this game with us.  She'll pretend like she can't find whatever it is we're looking for, until we trick her & tell her we're looking for something else.  Then, suddenly, voila!  *laugh*  


So, we arrived after some nice tours of Schaumburg!  Finally, we spotted the big blue building.  Our first stop was the loo, and we saw on the way an advertisement for Swedish Meatballs w/ lingonberry sauce.  It looked really good, and our tummies started to rumble.  We made our way to the third floor, and were greeted by an open air cafeteria.  There was almond cake!  Fish, meatballs, spinach crepes, salads, pasta, ribs... 


I chose the meatballs, even tho I was tempted by the fish and the pasta, because both also looked good!  






They were yummy!  I quite enjoyed the sauce.  : )  Mom had the spinach crepes & a salad.  She enjoyed the salad, but the crepes were only good w/ ranch.  *laugh*  I was very happy that they were a Pepsi establishment.  : )  I was also very happy w/ the Swedish almond cake!  Mom didn't care for it, but I thought it was just the right touch of sweet but not too sweet.






Almost bought one to bring home from the Swedish market, but we got some cheese & crackers instead.  






The cheese was like a sharp Swiss, the crackers more like unleavened bread, but made for a good snack. (Now that I'm looking at it, I guess it does say "crispbread" duh!) 


After our snack, it was time for the reason for our trip: 






The concert (which was AWESOME) was over and we were out of the parking lot finally at 10, and we were starving!  


Saturday Dinner: We weren't sure what would be open so late, but our hotel was connected to a Bennigans, so we hoped for the best.  It was open, and good thing, too, cuz after I ate, I was pretty well tuckered out & ready to SLEEP!  : )  


I had a delicious Tuscan chicken, served w/ perfectly cooked broccoli.  I forgot to take a picture before I dug in, so I took a picture of the menu, to give you an idea of what it looked like all pretty.  LOL  








Mom had a Monte Cristo sandwich, which is quite a bit unhealthier... so I only had 1/2 of a 1/4 of it.  : )  OH MY HECK it's good!  Basically a deep fried ham & turkey sandwich, right?  Mmmm!


Sunday Brunch: Our hotel had a restaurant, Joseph's Breakfast, which we were given a $20 voucher to eat there.  Mom & I both had omelets and they were quite good ones!  Hers was a veggie, mine a California (the green stuff is avacado).  They also had really delicious coffee!  : )  






All in all, this was a very good trip, including for the Menu!  : )  


Until next time - where have you had a good omelet?  Or do you make the best omelet you've ever had?  Do share!  





No comments: