Friday 2 July 2010

Turtle Kraals ... Time For Brisket / Key West 13

EATING DOWN HIGHWAY ONE


With Gene Morgan and his favorite traveling companion Nancy

OK, Turtle Kraals is an odd name for a bar and grill. In the old days there were lots of sea turtles in the Keys. This is the dock where they used to brings loads of turtles to be butchered and cut up for turtle soup. The smell is almost gone. (I know I used that before, but I just call ’em as I see ‘em.) There aren’t many turtles left in the surrounding waters. I guess more people like turtle soup than I ever imagined. (Carrie's note: Aww, poor turtles!  Save the turtles!!*sniffle*)


Nancy does not usually like crab meat, But they had some great crab cakes in a buffet up on Duval Street. They had really fresh crab in them and were nice and sweet and she tried them. When out late one night after a sunset catamaran cruise we stopped at Turtle Kraals for little snack. I talked Nancy into trying their crab/spinach dip. Nancy’s exact words were: “Awesome, Dude!” The weird skinny crackers were decent as well. The dip was so tasty we took half of it back to our cottage with us and ate it on sandwiches the next day.


We eat seafood as much as we can when we are in the Keys, but after a few days we are actually ready for a bit of a modification to our all crustacean diet. There used to be a great restaurant uptown next to the Green Parrot Bar called The Meteor Smokehouse. They had the best Texas brisket I have ever tasted. Unfortunately they went out of business. We hunted all around the Keys for some good beef, and were surprised to find it on the Turtle Kraals’ menu.


This brisket was a fine hunk of cow that came with rice, yellow squash, and jalapeno corn bread. The bread made me sad because I love the corn, but just can’t handle those hot Mexican peppers. What a shame. But the bread was all that was left on the plates when we were done.

No comments: