Sunday 10 July 2011

On The Road Again

Tonight's installment comes to you from my eating adventures during this weekend's vacation to Des Moines, Mason City, and Newton, IA.  


Mom, Leyton & I left Friday morning, with a cooler and bag full of plenty of snacks, soda, diet soda, and water.  We'd all eaten breakfast before our journey, so we didn't stop for lunch until about 2 pm.  We stopped in Newton because I knew was pretty sure they had a Subway, which is what we'd decided on before taking the exit.  However, Penelope (Mom's GPS) took us some random way into town, which brought us by a different restaurant that Leyton decided sounded good.  






It actually WAS good - which is saying something as I'm not really a fan of Pizza Hut's pizza.  Their breadsticks on the other hand?  YES please.  : )  We made it just in time for their lunch buffet, which meant salad & pizza & dessert bar, oh yay!!  I really liked how they'd decorated the restaurant, also.  









Interestingly, BUFFET was the word of the trip.  For dinner that night, we went to Bonanza.  I miss having a Bonanza here.  Ryan's Steakhouse is good, but just not the same!  Anyway, Mom & I ordered the 6 oz steak & buffet, and Leyton got the buffet.  However, the staff heard him say he wanted his own steak (after Mom & I assured him we'd share), and so they made him one!!  Seriously, giving the props to the Bonanza staff!  (And the next time I'm in MC, I have to remember to seek out a waitress named Crystal & give her an extra tip, because Mom gave a good but not great tip & I think she gave GREAT service!)  


(Insert picture later - camera died while we were at the zoo & I haven't emailed myself the pic I took w/ my phone yet!)  


Saturday, Mom & Leyton went down to the continental breakfast, and brought up a bowl of cereal & some milk for me.  Then, for lunch Leyton & I were at my nephew Stephen's birthday party.  They served ham & cheese sandwiches, veggies & chips, watermelon, and ice cream & cookie for dessert.  Quite good!



 oh yeah, and potato salad!  yumm!!  : ) 





Saturday night, I picked up Subway for us all to enjoy after nap.  : ) 


Today, continental breakfast again - we all went down this time, tho.  There were hard boiled eggs & make-your-own waffles, cereal & donuts & bread for toast.  I had a waffle & an egg, and a couple cups of really good coffee.  Then for linner (which we ate at around 4, thus the lunch/dinner combo) we ate at Pizza Ranch. I'd never been to one, but on weekends they have a buffet.  And they are apparently known more for their amazing chicken than for pizza... 









I would have to agree about the chicken!  I just had a little drumstick, but could totally see having a meal of their fried chicken & skipping the pizza.  (Which is not to say the pizza wasn't good - it was good!  But the chicken was my favorite.)  Also, their salad bar choices were quite good, altho I could have used a spinach or dark lettuce option.  Ah well, very few salad bars think of us anti-iceberg peeps!  LOL 


So, there you have it, our weekend road trip menu!  There were M&M's and DQ in there, as well.  Mom wanted a Blizzard Saturday night.  : )  






Until next time - have you been to a good buffet/salad bar recently?  Do share!!  : )  

No comments: