Thursday 14 July 2011

A Taste of Elegance - #7 & 8

Dish #7 by Chef Doug Lear of Bass Street Chop House was by far the BEST dish.  







A delicious southern inspired BBQ pork was the star, sitting atop white cheddar potatoes and a scrumptious cornbread wafer.  This was the BEST dish because A) it looked nearly identical to what was presented to the judges.  To me, this showed a respect for those of us who were there to support the cause and the chefs.  and B) it really did have the best flavor.  Of course, I later found out that was because he used a generous amount of bacon in the au jous... LOL  


(As Nicki pointed out, I lost part of my post - I had this in an earlier version, tho, I promise!!)  The people agreed w/ Becca's & my assessment, because Chef Doug won People's Choice.  The judges also gave him props by awarding him Premier Chef!  We're very proud of him!!!  : )  


The best table presentation of the evening went to #8, the Isle's Chef Shawn Timmerman.  Sadly, we did NOT get a picture of it, but it was tiered and looked like something you'd see at a spa.  Very, very neat.  







Pork butt with grits, and a sweet corn ice cream.  I don't know if you can tell, but the judge's plate had what looks like a yummy, crispy piece of bacon.  Our plate did NOT have any bacon.  And the butt is too fatty a piece of meat for my tastes.  *laugh*  Punny.  Also, something about the dish reminded me of Christmas - but not in a good way.  Could have been cloves?  Not sure.  At least the ice cream was great!  I think it was the best part of the dish, and there wasn't enough of it!  : )  


The judges liked their plate, tho, as Shawn won Chef Par Excellence.  My personal opinion is it must have been a really awesome piece of bacon that we missed out on!!  


Until next time - what's the most unusual flavor of ice cream you've tried?  And did you enjoy it?  

1 comment:

shamrock31707 said...

You forgot to mention Doug's awards!