Sunday 16 August 2009

Sunday Surprise!


Hello everyone! I was telling Carrie about what I was making my kids for dinner. So she invited me to share it with everyone. Why not, right?

I'm all about simple things. Today was no exception. I opened the freezer and thought, "What should I make for dinner?" There's a ton of veggies up there. Some tater tots. Some hash browns. Some hot dogs. Hmmm...... I know! A casserole!

So here it is, folks! *laugh* I know, I know....feel free to call it what you want.


Sunday Surprise Casserole!



Ingredients:

1/2 package hot dogs
1/2 lb Velveeta, cubed
1/2 cup butter or margarine, separated into two 1/4 cup portions
1 package frozen vegetables
2-3 cups frozen hashbrowns
6-8 slices American cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a baking dish (9x13 glass dish works great), layer hashbrowns in a single layer along the bottom, adding or subtracting as much as necessary to form a single layer. In a large pot, 1/4 cup butter/margarine and cubed Velveeta and heat under medium heat. Once butter and Velveeta begins melting, add frozen vegetables and stir. Do not stir constantly, but stir enough so the Velveeta does not stick to the bottom of the pot and coats the vegetables.

Cut hot dogs into medallions, add them to the vegetable/cheese combination, and stir.

In a microwave safe dish, melt the other 1/4 cup butter/margarine (45 seconds in a dish large enough to accommodate hashbrowns). Once melted, add the hashbrowns you measured out in the baking dish and stir to coat with the butter. Spray baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray liberally and add hashbrowns back to the dish, smoothing out to that single layer.

Spread the vegetable/cheese/hot dog combination on top of the buttered hashbrowns evenly. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Add slices of cheese across the entire top, making sure to not overlap. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Allow to rest 5 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.

Makes 6-8 servings

Sounds easy enough, right? I'll give you even more suggestions, as this is the gist of the recipe. If you have little kids, I recommend slicing the hot dogs lengthwise before cutting into medallions (basically, cut the medallions in half, it's just easier to do it lengthwise first). Also, I prefer to use Oscar Meyer hot dogs-- only because they come in the two packs. *laugh* Saves me from having to eat hot dogs two days in a row because the entire package is thawed out.

Keep in mind that I completely made this recipe up. I figure anyone can make a casserole. *laugh* Even easier? Take a package of au gratin potatoes, add frozen vegetables and hot dogs and bake according to directions on the package of potatoes. I'd have done that, but I don't have au gratin potatoes in the pantry. :)

I hope everyone enjoys!

1 comment:

CarrieMarie said...

Thanks for the recipe, Joy! Can't wait to try it! : )