Sunday 16 May 2010

China City

This little, 5 or 7 table restaurant, has been around for awhile, but we had not been there.  When we pulled up, it didn't look very promising.  There was a lady coming out w/ some take out, so we asked her if she'd eaten there before & she raved about the food.  So, we went inside. 
There's a cooler for cans of soda, styrofoam cups and a water cooler and hot tea caraffe.  The salt & pepper shakers don't match.  There are fans mounted on the walls.  It reminded me of a place Mary & I went in Chicago back in high school - looks a little sketchy, but amaaaaazing food. 
I had to try the crab ragoon, of course.

Oh my heck.  I should have torn one open for a picture, but didn't think of it!  Stuffffed with cream cheese, crab flecks & green onion, these little pouches are superb.  Creamy, with just enough crab and spice.  I almost ordered some to go for later!!  I'll definitely be taking advantage of their delivery service in the future. 
For the main course, I ordered roast pork chow mein.  The pork was good, but I won't order it again, as apparently chow mein means "onion & celery" of which I was previously unaware.  I also thought - as per the menu - that there would be crunchy noodles.  Alas, I didn't say anything when there weren't, because I wasn't sure how it was supposed to be...
Mom had vegetable fried rice, which she said was really good, and Leyton had sweet & sour chicken.  The chicken was pretty flavorful, but I'm not a fan of chinese chicken, in general. 




If you're in the neighborhood, stop by or call for delivery.  : )

Until next time... Happy eats!

No comments: