Tuesday 7 April 2009

Spicy Basil Noodles revamped

Today, Shannan & I made the Exotic Thai trip of the week. We really do go once a week! : ) I started off with the Sa Te, or chicken skewers. The sauce to the bottom of the plate is basically peanut butter. A creamy, yummy, peanut butter sauce. I cut up the chicken & ate each piece with some cucumber & the sauce. Very smooth & tastey! And I was very glad I'd ordered it, because for my main dish I ordered something I've had before & usually like. Spicy Basil Noodles. Looks good, doesn't it? And normally I like it a lot. But today it was TOO spicy for me! And the cook had added onions, which weren't normally included! Or at least, I don't recall them being included... perhaps there just hadn't been so many in previous orders. Today it was like there was a whole onion in there! They also were way too heavy handed with the hot pepper. Unfortunately, I couldn't even taste what I normally like about this dish through the heat. This just illustrates a lesson I'm taught often, and have just learned to roll with - trying new things has risks, but "old standards" can be risky, too, depending on the chef! So, don't let fear interfere with trying something new. If it's something you really can't eat, the restaurant will generally take it back & fix you something else, at no charge. I didn't follow that path today simply because I'd eaten 1/3 of the meal before the heat kicked in, and I knew I could take the leftovers home to Phil. Tho, as it turned out, Shannan took my leftovers home to her daughter! As long as someone's enjoying it, tho, that's what matters.

Keep your eyes peeled for new & exciting fare, and please let me know what you suggest! : )

TTFN!





No comments: