Wednesday 23 June 2010

Shrimp Ceaser Salad / Key West 3

EATING DOWN HIGHWAY ONE

With Gene Morgan and his favorite traveling companion Nancy

Around mile marker 50 you will find yourself in the unincorporated village of Marathon. It’s not a real town but is big and full of shopping and fast food, a good place to go if you get tired of real food and miss greasy burgers. I had a great non-greasy burger at a local little café called Herbies.



The first thing you notice as you come in the door is how classy the décor is. There were nice picnic tables to eat on and this beautiful mermaid hanging over the doorway. It was the normal Keys rustic. You are in the islands, mon.



Nancy raved about her shrimp Caesar salad. As for me, I don’t know how you can call rabbit food a meal. Now a nice iceberg heart lettuce salad with red cabbage and lots of cheese on top is a nice side dish to a big old steak. With this salad I kinda get it. I mean look at those shrimp on top. Nancy said this was the best Caesar salad she had ever eaten. Well that must be an exaggeration, but again LOOK AT THOSE SHRIMP.



She said the dressing was mild enough that all the flavors came through especially the shrimp (see I knew it was the shrimp).  It also had a nice nutty parmesan on top. OK, that I understand. I’ll eat most anything if you put enough cheese on it. (I draw the line at tuna. I can’t eat stuff that smells that bad.) The moral to that story is, “Anything will taste great covered with fresh shrimp and cheese.”

No comments: