Tuesday 26 October 2010

Cinnamon

I'm not the biggest cinnamon fan.  A little goes a long way in my book!  Cinnamon rolls?  Cinnamon coffees?  Not so much my thing.  But after hearing that cinnamon can lower bad cholesterol, and most importantly "Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with type 2 Diabetes,"  I've begun making a conscious effort to find things to which I can add a bit of the spice.

Tonight, I added it to my pasta sauce.  Just a touch, just a bit.  I started out with Chunky Mushroom & Green Pepper Ragu.  I added the bit of cinnamon, a touch of milk, a pat of butter, sprinkle of salt, quite a bit of pepper and A LOT of basil.  I may have also added some oregano, I'm not sure now... I added a little cinnamon to the bowtie pasta after it was cooked, as well.  The combination of cinnamon & basil was interestingly delicious!

I ate the finished product without taking a picture.  Bad food blogger!  But it pretty much looked like bowtie pasta w/ tomato sauce.  Heh.  : )

Until next time... What "new" spice have you started using more of lately?

No comments: