Friday 1 October 2010

Healthy (?) Choice Frozen Meals

Why hello there!  Welcome back!  I know, it's been so long since my last post.  (This is a joke, no need to look at the fact that I posted earlier & wonder what I'm talking about...LOL)


This week I'd been talking to a friend of mine about healthy, portion controlled options for dinners.  It is kind of difficult for me to cook for one person, and when I make things like normal, I'm never quite sure if I'm eating 1 serving or 2 before I put leftovers in the fridge!  So, Tricia suggested the Healthy Choice frozen meals, saying they were pretty good, and seemed fairly healthy, as their name implies.  


So, on my last grocery journey, I picked up a few different varieties.  Last night for dinner I had the Chicken Pesto Classico.  






Tonight I tried the Garlic Herb Shrimp, and it, too, was pretty filling.  Surprising, really, considering its small size!  I enjoyed the asparagus quite a lot.  






Now, both of these had a lot of sodium, but the carbs, fats, and other things were good.  I think I'll talk to my nutritionalist about them at my next class.  What's the trade off?  How much sodium am I supposed to be ingesting as a BP patient?  I mean, my doctor has made mention that, "No salt is good," when I said I was changing to sea salt rather than regular table salt.  So, if no salt is good... how am I supposed to eat??  Guess I'll find out...lol  Anyway, something I really like about these meals - aside from the flavor and portions, which were quite good - is the Dietary Exchange information on the labels.  I knew that the chicken dish was going to count for 2 carbs, while the shrimp dish only counted for 1.  I'm allowed 2-3 carbs per meal, but am unsure if I'm supposed to have AT LEAST 2-3 or ... More things to ask at next week's class!  


In the meantime, I have a couple more meals to try this weekend.  Will let you know how it goes!  : )  


Until next time, what are some of your recommendations for portion controlled frozen meals from the grocer's?  Do share!  


****Edit: 
I found it on the site... and it looks SO GOOD!  I am seriously looking for this on grocery day next week!



2 comments:

Angela :) said...

Ooooh OOOOOHHHH I have one! I think it is called Smart Ones, Weight Watchers puts it out.. I like the Santa Fe Style rice and beans. I add a lil cheese to it and then eat it with a couple tortillas. A better carb option for torts would be baked tostidos I think or whole wheat torts are better obviously than reg white ones. Also, something I KNOW you'd love is Healthy Choice's Pumpkin ravioli. It is to DIE for... have ravioli stuffed with pumpkin, asparagus, and other veggies that just mix well together. Try it, you'll like it. :)

CarrieMarie said...

Thanks, Ang! i haven't seen the pumpkin ravioli from HC, i must find it! and buy like 12. : )